Monday 16 March 2015

Treatment begins

I'm not in a house, and there is not overly dramatic voice over, but it is day 1 and I do have a geordie accent.
So it has started, about 10 this morning I started a 1g infusion of anti inflammatory steroids. At 12 I went on to my first alemtuzumab infusion.  All in all 5 hours hooked up to a drip. So far I feel fine, its a bit boring, and having to sit still is uncomfortable, but its really not bad.

Thats my canular.
Dont ask why this is now centred text, blogging by phone isnt ideal for formatting.  I am on a treatment unit for people needing a while pn.a drip, without necessarily needing a bed, so a lot of people on  chemotherapy.  I feel lucky that I'm here for something non fatal.
Although C has been here most of the day I still miss the normality of time together, and its strange not being jumped on or hearing 'dad, dad, daaaadddddyyyyy' constantly.

Lunch review
Sweet and sour chicken wwith rice. Nice, sauce had a little spice kick, nice tang of sour, and rice was good not sloppy.

Felt a little drowsy in afternoon, most likely the piriton (other antihistamines are available as Chris Evans would say) but that wore off after an hour and a half. C brought me 3 magazines from her lunch run, a gardening one, a fancy local lifestyle one, and a popular science one from the beeb. Ive read an article on the history of atomic theory so far.  It was goid if basic, and there were some ommissions like the plum pudding theory, but thats me being an over-critical physicist. 

Treatment over for the day, not bad at all. Last 10 minutes or so I felt a little cold, once drip was out and jumper back on I warmed up. Had some shivering, all gone. Walk to ward was just what I needed, stiffness from sitting gone.
Beat this as well, I got a private side room! Maybe because the steroids will likely keep me awake, maybe because its a stroke ward so I'm a bit unusual and need 4 hourly observations.  Who knows.

Reading for tonight is

And I am on gulag D. 

Without publishing this the staff decided they wanted a better review, I got an upgrade to an en suite. Not as good as the upgrade at xx castle where we got a jacuzzi, but will be handy if I need it in the night.


I forgot the food review for tea (dinner if you're down south), it was tasty, but not enough, im on steroids, im hungry! It qas soup and a sandwich, lentil soup, corned beef and tomato sandwich. All fresh and tasty, I blagged a bread bun to dip in yhe soup, so that helped. But to me soup and a sandwich is a light lunch, best served in the middle of a long hike, Bridge of Orchy hotel does a good one if you're travelling up thr wesy highland way from Tyndrum to Inveroran. But now I'm rambling about rambling, blame the steroids, mind is running at full tilt.

To summarise today, bit boring, miss home C and the kids. Haven't felt bad other than a bit cold and shivery as treatment finished, and Sunderland hospital is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment